[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Are folks still interested in Evergreen for Academics?

Jane Sandberg sandbej at linnbenton.edu
Fri Jan 12 10:19:19 EST 2018

Your point is well taken, Ruth.  I'm very grateful for your email.

I also wouldn't want to see a separate academic fork of Evergreen.  I feel
very fortunate to work in a library that blends approaches that are
typically associated with both academic and public libraries.  There are
many libraries that blend these approaches even further: tribal college
libraries that also serve as the public libraries *and* archives of their
communities jump to mind as really successful examples.

At the same time, there are many ways that Evergreen could better help our
Library bolster student success. I believe that there is value in
discussing these with other folks who share a student success lens.

I imagine that this group would convene discussions both by itself and with
the larger Evergreen community.  I agree with Kathy; I don't see a need for
a separate email list at this time.  I also suspect that this group would
find itself building coalitions not just with the public libraries that use
Evergreen, but also with the primary and secondary schools that use
Evergreen, the special libraries that use Evergreen, and with libraries
that don't fit into the way we historically categorize libraries here in
the United States.

I am very open to ideas about how to *not* reinforce the silo approach,
while still being able to have really in-depth, student-centered
discussion.  For starters, how would folks feel about changing the group's
name to something like the Student Success Interest Group?

Thanks also to Jennifer, Kathy, Ron, and Jim for your interest and
contributions to this discussion. :-)