[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Are folks still interested in Evergreen for Academics?

Ruth Frasur director at hagerstownlibrary.org
Fri Jan 12 10:21:51 EST 2018

Thank you, Jane.  I'm following this discussion with interest.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:19 AM, Jane Sandberg <sandbej at linnbenton.edu>
wrote:

> Your point is well taken, Ruth.  I'm very grateful for your email.
>
> I also wouldn't want to see a separate academic fork of Evergreen.  I feel
> very fortunate to work in a library that blends approaches that are
> typically associated with both academic and public libraries.  There are
> many libraries that blend these approaches even further: tribal college
> libraries that also serve as the public libraries *and* archives of their
> communities jump to mind as really successful examples.
>
> At the same time, there are many ways that Evergreen could better help our
> Library bolster student success. I believe that there is value in
> discussing these with other folks who share a student success lens.
>
> I imagine that this group would convene discussions both by itself and
> with the larger Evergreen community.  I agree with Kathy; I don't see a
> need for a separate email list at this time.  I also suspect that this
> group would find itself building coalitions not just with the public
> libraries that use Evergreen, but also with the primary and secondary
> schools that use Evergreen, the special libraries that use Evergreen, and
> with libraries that don't fit into the way we historically categorize
> libraries here in the United States.
>
> I am very open to ideas about how to *not* reinforce the silo approach,
> while still being able to have really in-depth, student-centered
> discussion.  For starters, how would folks feel about changing the group's
> name to something like the Student Success Interest Group?
>
> Thanks also to Jennifer, Kathy, Ron, and Jim for your interest and
> contributions to this discussion. :-)
>
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 6:20 AM, James Keenan <jkeenan at cwmars.org> wrote:
>
>> For the sake of the academic libraries in C/W MARS, I'm interested. I
>> think it's important in general, though, not to separate academics and
>> publics and create small, unintended exclusion zones based on type of
>> institution.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 8:55 AM, Gagnon, Ron <gagnon at noblenet.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Academic libraries are an important part of our consortium and we are
>>> interested in improving usability for academic libraries, and attracting
>>> more to Evergreen.
>>> Ron

>>> --
>>> Ronald A. Gagnon
>>> Executive Director
>>> North Of Boston Library Exchange (NOBLE)
>>> Danvers, Massachusetts  01923
>>> 978-777-8844 <(978)%20777-8844>
>>> www.noblenet.org
>>>

>> --
>>
>> [image: EmailLogo]
>>

>> *Jim Keenan*
>>
>> Library Applications Supervisor | C/W MARS
>>
>> 67 Millbrook Street, Suite 201, Worcester, MA 01606
>> <https://maps.google.com/?q=67+Millbrook+Street,+Suite+201,+Worcester,+MA+01606&entry=gmail&source=g>
>>
>> 508-755-3323 x 323 | http://www.cwmars.org
>>

> --
> [...]

Ruth Frasur
Director of the Historic(ally Awesome) Hagerstown - Jefferson Township
Library
10 W. College Street in Hagerstown, Indiana (47346)
p (765) 489-5632; f (765) 489-5808

*Our Kickin' Website <http://hagerstownlibrary.org>,  Our Rockin' Facebook
Page <http://facebook.com/hjtplibrary>,  and The Nettle Creek Players
<http://nettlecreekplayers.com>*