[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Floor Plan - Map - Drawing Software

Jim Taylor jtaylor at jtdata.com
Wed Jul 11 22:36:20 EDT 2018

It has been a few years so recalling this from my dusty memory collection but a few years ago I saw a presentation by someone in the Horizon Library world who mapped all his shelves using GPS.   So when you looked up an item it would dynamically show you where the item was located.  Things are even more sophisticated now so you could even provide "Directions" now on peoples phones.   Click a link and tell it to "Start" and it would take them to the right shelves.   Probably one additional table in the database to map Location/Collection/Call# codes to GPS coordinates and maybe a bit of map creation and away you go.   If you wanted to get really fancy you could even do a StreetView kind of thing for your library so they could "See" where they needed to go.   Or even fancier, put in LED tiles for flooring and then you could light up tiles for them to follow.   Sorry, I get carried away sometimes.   Sounds like a fun project though.

Jim