[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Floor Plan - Map - Drawing Software

Jim Taylor jtaylor at jtdata.com
Mon Jul 16 13:09:13 EDT 2018

Again, going from memory and what little I know of GEO-Location stuff...Also, Google has a full suite of Geo-Location API's one can use.

You would have to go to each shelf and determine the GPS coordinates and then map those to the call# (obviously variations on this but trying to keep it simple).   Not saying the below would be the best option as the API's mentioned above are available but just to demonstrate how you can tweak locations in google maps.

If you search for Missouri River Regional Library you will see the "pin" at the following location.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/38°34'28.5"N+92°10'07.0"W

I have tweaked the location below so the pin moves to a different point within the library.   As you probably know you can open a location on your maps on your phone and, in this case, choose the walking option and follow the map to the specified location...or more likely the use it would open the map in the library and you would dynamically see the "pin" at the shelf you need.   Guessing most people wouldn't use the walking option, other than for the fun of it and to see if it works, unless you have a large confusing setup.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/38°34'28.9"N+92°10'06.7"W

What I am unsure of is if you can create your own map using the Google API's and use that for what they see.  I would think so but not sure.   Again, just a thought from something that was pretty creative at the time when this stuff wasn't as sophisticated and easy as it has become.

If I find time I may take a closer look at the API's and see what can be done and report back.   Does sound like fun.

Jim