[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Mobius Carousel - reducing number of requests?

Josh Stompro stomproj at exchange.larl.org
Fri Oct 12 15:30:53 EDT 2018

Hello, We have been using the carousel from Mobius for a while now.  And I just noticed how resource intensive it seems to be.

Here are the slides from the presentation that Bake created about it.
http://slides.mobiusconsortium.org/blake/bookcarousel/#/1
And the code https://github.com/mcoia/mobius_evergreen/tree/master/bookbag_update

We have ~ 30 catalog machines that are set to reset every 5 minutes of idle time (since people don't always log themselves out.)  When I watch our catalog page load which currently has 3 sliders, I see 483 requests made from the browser.  ~450 of those requests are from the carousel, since it request each book bag, and then request info for each bookbag item.  And then request images for the visible items.  So our 30 catalog machines generate  162000 requests an hour.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried pre-generating the bookbag json data on a schedule so the web page can do just one request for the titles?  It also seems like the only info that is used is the title, while 1-2kb of data gets returned about each item.  So a lot of unused data gets moved around.  The script that generates the static data file could do things like randomize the order of the items, so a static bookbag list would show different titles whenever it is re-generated.

It looks like open-ils.search.biblio.record.mods_slim.retrieve can accept an array of ID's, so that seems like it would reduce the number of requests, so that may be another way to reduce the number of requests.

Thanks
Josh

Lake Agassiz Regional Library - Moorhead MN larl.org
Josh Stompro     | Office 218.233.3757 EXT-139
LARL IT Director | Cell 218.790.2110