[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 3.3.0 Released

Daniel Wells dbwells at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 17:30:35 EDT 2019

Hello all,

It is my pleasure to announce general availability of the first stable
release for Evergreen 3.3.  The download for Evergreen 3.3.0 is available
here:

https://evergreen-ils.org/egdownloads/

As we close out this development period, I think the overall theme of this
release can be summarized as infrastructural improvements and
modernization.  Chief among these would be the significant shift to new
versions of Angular/Bootstrap as spearheaded by Bill Erickson.  There are a
handful of production ready interfaces now using the new system (MARC
Import/Export and some Administration interfaces) and an ever more
feature-rich "staff" catalog which can be optionally enabled by Evergreen
administrators.  The staff catalog is still considered experimental for
this release, but is already highly functional, and may one day serve as a
prototype for bringing similar technology to the public OPAC.

A somewhat less glamorous but equally important effort is making sure
Evergreen continues to work smoothly with major parts of our technology
stack.  As lead by Jason Stephenson and Ben Shum, Evergreen can now claim
official support for the newest Ubuntu LTS (18.04) as well as significantly
more modern versions of PostgreSQL (9.6 and 10).  Ubuntu is a popular
choice in the Evergreen community for a server operating system, and
PostgreSQL plays the critical role of backend database for Evergreen, so
these improvements are necessary and much appreciated.

For an overview of these changes and more, including acknowledgements of
all the contributors beyond the select few named above, please see the
official release notes:

https://evergreen-ils.org/documentation/release/RELEASE_NOTES_3_3.html

And while release notes are great for a high-level overview, if you really
want to see what goes on, I've always felt the bug tracker provides the
best window into the Evergreen workshop.  A total of 82 improvements were
committed to Evergreen during the 3.3 release cycle, and you can see the
nitty-gritty details here:

https://launchpad.net/evergreen/3.3/3.3-beta1

and here:

https://launchpad.net/evergreen/3.3/3.3.0

Finally, as always, thank you to everyone who proposed, funded, coded,
tested, and revised all of the various bug-fix and feature improvements for
Evergreen during this cycle.  If any contributor was left out of the
release notes linked above, please let me know, and I will address the
problem with appropriate haste :)

Sincerely,
Dan