[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Question regarding the staff client manual download webpage

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Tue Jul 30 20:39:49 EDT 2019

On 7/30/19 7:21 PM, JonGeorg SageLibrary wrote:
> I have what may be a silly question regarding the
> /updates/manualupdate.html page on our local server which is housed in
> /openils/var/updates/pub/ and references the 'VERSION'_extension.xpi
> file in the same directory to provide download links for the staff xul
> client. We are still running 3.1 and somehow during the upgrade process
> from 2.11 that file did not get upgraded so all of the links are for
> 2.11. I don't see anything in the documentation about it, so how do I
> create the rel_3_1_11_extension.xpi file so that the staff will be
> directed to download the correct xul client until we upgrade to 3.2?
> -Jon

Honestly, you don't need it.  The XUL client hasn't changed
significantly since 2.11 and as long as the 2.11 files exist in
/openils/var/web/xul, staff can still use the 2.11 XUL client.  There
have been changes in the web staff client since then, that you really
don't want people using both clients on 3.2.  We're on 3.2 at CW MARS
and staff still use a XUL client versioned as 3.0.8 that has not been
updated/rebuilt since then.

If you really want to build a new XUL client, you'll need to install
some prerequisites on your server and run some additional steps:

First, you need to install the zip and nsis packages.

Next, from your Evergreen source code directory issue the following
commands:

cd Open-ILS/xul/staff_client
make rigrelease rebuild
make updates-client

Then, you want to cd to /openils/var/web/xul and ln -sf legacy/server.

You will then likely have a legacy entry on the manualupdates.html page.

I haven't done this since install Evergreen 3.0.8 and I've almost never
done it with a tarball.  I've usually done it with a git checkout and I
would specify STAFF_CLIENT_VERSION when doing make install.  I assume
that with a tarbal, you'll get a version of legacy, though it may pull
it from the configure.ac script.

HtH,
Jason