[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 3.3.3 856 scoping to preferred library issue

Josh Stompro stomproj at gsuite.larl.org
Fri Sep 6 10:37:19 EDT 2019

Hello, I'm testing out 3.3.3 and I've noticed that I no longer see any
ebook results when I search from our default catalog landing page.

What seems to be happening is that the preferred lib setting no longer
includes ebooks (scoped 856 URI's).

For example:  (Simple keyword search)
[2019-09-06 07:49:36] /usr/sbin/apache2
[INFO:29303:Search.pm:211:15677691072930320] tpac:
site=LARL_NWRL_CONSORTIUM, depth=0, user_query=harry potter,
query=pref_ou(LARL) harry potter depth(0)

This search on our old 2.10 system returns all normally visible copies +
all ebook records scoped with an 856 that includes "‡9LARL", or for logged
in users, the pref_ou gets set to the users home library which also
includes the same scoped records.

I've tried to find an existing bug report about the pref_ou no longer
working with Located URI's, but haven't found anything that looks right.

Could someone point me to where the search query gets parsed so I can see
how the pref_ou is handled now.  Is it 300.schema.staged_search.sql?  Or is
it perlmods/lib/OpenILS/Application/Storage/Driver/Pg/QueryParser.pm that I
should be looking at.  I see that pref_ou is mentioned in that file, but
doesn't actually seem to be acted on.  Or was the preferred lib
functionality left out of the new searching from bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1698206 ?

So the behavior that we want is for all users to always default to
searching the consortium, but depending on the catalog domain, have the
pref_lib set to the system associated with that domain for not logged in
users.  Logged in users have the pref_ou set to their home library.  We
always want users to see all physical copies since we share everything
between our two systems, but have separate overdrive accounts.  We use an
apache rewrite to always add ?locg=1 to the initial catalog page load to
set the search library to consortium.  And then we use an apache directive
in sites-enabled/eg.conf to set the preferred library per virtual host with
a statement like "SetEnv physical_loc 101"

I found this bug, but I don't think I'm performing a browse search so I'm
not sure that it is related.
Browse search not including scoped electronic bibs -

Auto suggest not accounting for located URI (electronic) record visibility

This bug seems somewhat similar, but I don't think it was related to the
preferred library, just site scoping.

Josh Stompro - IT Director
Lake Agassiz Regional Library
Desk: 218-233-3757 Ext 139