[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 3.5 Development Check-In

Bill Erickson berickxx at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 15:45:34 EST 2020

Hi All,

I just wanted to say a few quick words about Evergreen 3.5 development.
Things have been relatively quiet -- at least publicly -- so far, but we're
now entering what I think of as Feature Month for 3.5 (or any Spring
release).  I expect to see a bit more activity over the next few weeks
related to 3.5.

I call this Feature Month since we are 3 weeks out from our Developer
Feedback Fest (week of Feb 17) and 4 weeks out from our Feature Freeze (Feb
26).  At the end of the month, features that made the cut will be merged
and we'll have a good idea how Evergreen 3.5 is going to look.

The Feedback Fest will give us a chance to focus as a group on all of the
Launchpad pull requests, in part so we can merge any last minute features
before the Feature Freeze.  I encourage feature developers to take a few
simple steps *before* the Fest, though:

* Rebase and re-test your feature branches.  With the move to Angular 8 and
a fair amount of attention specifically on browser client code, there are a
lot of opportunities for merge conflicts.

* Make sure your LP bugs have a 3.5-alpha milestone and an importance value
of "Wishlist".

* Recap and/or add test steps, especially to bugs with lots of discussion,
so testers and code reviewers can quickly grasp the intention of the code.

* And of course during the Fest, prompt replies for additional information
or mid-Fest rebasing will help get features merged.

Other suggestions welcome!

As a reminder we have an IRC developer meeting next week.  This will be the
last regularly scheduled developer meeting before the feature freeze, so
it's a good time to bring up any feature-related topics that might require
group discussion or voting.

Thanks,

Bill Erickson, 3.5 Co-RM.