[Board] Update for today's meeting

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxinitiative.org
Thu Jun 20 11:22:03 EDT 2019

Hi,

I will be at the airport at the time of the board meeting today, so here
are some updates:

Treasurer's report
------------------------
I will run the reports after I get back from ALA, but the main substantive
changes to our financial position are:

- Receipt of the $20,000 grant from Conservancy, which essentially amounts
to an internal transfer from the global point of view of the project. I
will need to digest the reporting requirements for the grant, but we're
close to the point where we can stop leaning quite so much on MOBIUS'
patience and honor an invoice for their services to date.
- Starting to pay expenditures related to ALA Annual 2019.

Release manager's report
-----------------------------------
The first feedback fest for the 3.4 cycle, which coincided with a Bug
Squashing Week, was a success.

Policy for budget adjustments
I suspect ultimately we might want to spin up a short-lived subcommittee to
research policies and make a recommendation at the next board meeting, but
my current suggestion is something along those lines:

- For expenditures authorized by the board for a specific project, such as
the participation at ALA Annual, the committee acting on that approval can
have leeway to adjust actual expenditures among the individual line items
that made up the original proposal, subject to the restrictions that (a)
any adjustments must be directly tied to the approved project and (b)
expenditures that would go over the total approved amount must be brought
to the board for approval. I could also envision a variant of (b) that
gives (say) the treasurer authorization to permit going over by 5% (capped
at $250) in exigent circumstances, but that the preference is to put it
before the board first.
- We're already, of course, in a mode where we approve an overall budget
for the conference, but I think we're at or close to the point where the
Outreach committee could be given an annual budget not tied to specific
projects.

Regards,

Galen
--