[Board] 2020 hack-a-way update

rogan.hamby at gmail.com rogan.hamby at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 09:58:48 EDT 2020

We have begun planning the 2020 Hack-A-Way. First I want to thank everyone
who has stepped forward to be part of the planning group:

Angelina Lynn Floyd
Gina Monti
Jason Etheridge
Jennifer Weston
Michelle Morgan
Ruth Frasur
Terran McCanna

We have selected a platform, Hopin.to as the means to host the online
Hack-A-Way.  It provides access for up to 100 participants with ad-hoc
participants created breakout sessions with simultaneous screen sharing
from multiple participants.  After looking at multiple options we concluded
it was the best fit for the workflow needs of the Hack-A-Way.
Additionally, group discussions, moderated or not, can be scheduled in
advance.  The free tier means that we can guarantee the event with no cost
and no sponsorship.

However, a paid tier of access at $99 a month (with a 20% for non-profits)
would allow us to record the sessions which is very desirable.  Our
intention is to seek a sponsor, preferably one willing to acquire two
months of access as an in-kind purchase to keep things simple.  Two months
of access means that we can do full tests before the actual event.  It
would also be available that way for other events during that time if any
other in community groups wanted to take advantage of it.

I have sent to the open-ils lists a survey to try to select viable dates
for the event.  The planning group will be doing additional hands-on
testing with the platform in the next few weeks and then finalizing the
rest of our tasks.