[Board] Conference cancellation?

Andrea Buntz Neiman abneiman at equinoxinitiative.org
Thu Mar 12 14:31:02 EDT 2020

Peanut-gallery voice of a potential silver lining (quell your shock, LOL) -
if virtual is an option, promote this to the community as such and perhaps
people who couldn't afford the whole travel/full registration package might
be interested in paying a lower rate for virtual attendance?

Also, thank you, Board and Conference Committee, for engaging with this
difficult decision. I don't envy you this task but I'm glad it's in capable
hands.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:01 PM Jason Boyer <jboyer at equinoxinitiative.org>
wrote:

> Given the practical limits on participation (taking questions, having some
> folks try to help with connection issues while the speaker can just keep
> doing their thing, etc.) it might be worth charging something to keep live
> participation numbers reasonable, while also recording everything we can
> and making that freely available shortly after the event. Charging some
> amount of money for participation may well be a requirement just to be able
> to make a dent in our commitment to the hotel if we can’t get out of that
> part of the contract.
>
> Jason
>
> --
> Jason Boyer
> Senior System Administrator
> Equinox Open Library Initiative
> phone:  +1 (877) Open-ILS (673-6457)
> email:  JBoyer at EquinoxInitiative.org <JBoyer at EquinoxInitiative.org>
> web:  https://EquinoxInitiative.org/
>
> On Mar 12, 2020, at 1:54 PM, Terran McCanna <tmccanna at georgialibraries.org>
> wrote:
>
> If we did a virtual conference this year, I wouldn't necessarily expect to
> charge attendees at all, especially if we can use technology that we
> already have. PINES has Google's Enterprise Suite, which allows us to do
> some types of streaming and recording, and we are getting a Zoom
> subscription as well (not sure if that will be in place yet, but I know
> several other member organizations have Zoom subscriptions).
>
> If some or all of the conference sponsors were still willing to contribute
> to a virtual conference, that could offset the losses we take from
> canceling the in-person conference.
>

> Terran McCanna, PINES Program Manager
> ------------------------------
> Georgia Public Library Service | University System of Georgia
> 2872 Woodcock Blvd, Suite 250 l Atlanta, GA 30341
> (404) 235-7138 | tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
> http://help.georgialibraries.org | help at help.georgialibraries.org
>
> <https://www.facebook.com/georgialibraries>
> <https://www.twitter.com/georgialibs>
> Join our email list <http://georgialibraries.org/> for stories of Georgia
> libraries making an impact in our communities.
>

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 1:43 PM Goben, Anna <AGoben at library.in.gov> wrote:
>
>> I too, as someone who’s organized lots of conferences, am very, very
>> hesitant about the idea of postponing until later this year.  We’ll be
>> competing with other agencies with the same idea and do not know when the
>> peak of things will hit yet (still seems to be very early days).  I’d
>> prefer to only be stuck with one round of payouts for cancellation should
>> things get worse after April.
>>

>> The virtual conference has potential depending on the available
>> resources.  I would expect a dramatic reduction in attendance fees if we go
>> that route since we wouldn’t have venue costs associated with it.
>>

>> Looking forward to the feedback from MOBIUS’ team.
>>

>> -Anna
>>

>> Anna Goben

> [...]

Andrea Buntz Neiman
Project Manager for Software Development
Equinox Open Library Initiative
abneiman at equinoxinitiative.org
1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457) x5583
*www.equinoxinitiative.org <http://www.equinoxinitiative.org>*