[Eg-oversight-board] Web Team's Drupal Pilot Report

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Wed Jul 11 12:00:04 EDT 2012

The EG Drupal Prototype group componsed of Alexey, Anoop, Stephen Wills,
Jim Craner and me (with support from Ben Shum) met on May 31 to kick off
plans.  Meeting Minutes below with my updates in [brackets.]

2012-05-31 EG Web Team meeting notes

Topic: Future Evergreen website

Attendees: Lori Ayre, Jim Craner, Alexey Lazar

Lori and Jim gave Alexey background information about the website
re-architecture project goals and the work that was done in preparation for
it.  We discussed what the role of the web team should be for managing
content migration as well as maintenance of the future site.  We also
talked about strategies to ensure long-term success for the new site.

We then discussed what would be the most practical approach to move
forward, in terms of immediate action items as well some basic guiding
principles for content migration and management on the new site. In terms
of general approach, it seems like we had agreement that all units of
information, content management processes and systems that we set up need
to have defined owners/managers assigned to them.  These owners will then
have certain defined tasks that they will perform based on the type of
responsibility they have.  Feature and content availability of the new site
will be strongly influenced by availability of volunteers who agree to
become the owners of those features.

In terms of immediate action items, we are going to move forward with a
Drupal-based prototype. Lori and Jim agreed that Jim will serve as the
owner/administrator of this prototype website. He will be responsible for
initial installation, user configuration and management, and any future
Drupal-related system administration tasks, like security and system
updates.  [Update: the "scaffolding is now up at
http://evergreen.galecia.com/admin-scaffold and the Drupal Group member all
have access to it.]

After the prototype is set up, we will use the new proposed website
architecture as a blueprint for site organization. Alexey will work with
Jim to implement it.  [No progress yet on that...we just got the
scaffolding up]

As a pilot for content migration, we will use the Web Team content from the
current EG website. While migrating the content to the prototype, we hope
to improve organization, weed out old content, reduce the amount of copy
and also assign content and process ownership roles.  This will be a
exercise both in using Drupal and dealing with content migration issues.

We agreed to have weekly group meetings and weekly action items to keep
steady progress. [This hasn't happened.  Alexey volunteered to be the
community contact for the group and this update went out on the general
list.  Since we haven't managed to get much farther, no additional
communications have gone out.]

Alexey Lazar
PALS
Information System Developer and Integrator
507-389-2907
http://www.mnpals.org/

Lori Bowen Ayre //
Library Technology Consultant / The Galecia Group
Oversight Board & Communications Committee / Evergreen
(707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com
Availability:  http://tungle.me/lori.ayre

<Lori.Ayre at galecia.com>Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID,
filtering,
workflow optimization, and materials handling