[Eg-oversight-board] Oversight Board Discussion List - Decision Needed

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Fri Jun 8 11:20:44 EDT 2012

Dan,
I attached two PDFs showing the changes to the blog I had in mind.   They
are attached again.

This thread began as a discussion of the mailing list policy.  I drafted a
sample.  I got feedback.  I incorporated feedback. You asked for more
context for how these revisions would be integrated into the pages so I
drafted a mock-up and attached them.  They are not final.  They are just an
attempt to show you what I had in mind. That's why this is all on this
thread and this list.

I agree that this isn't a conversation that SHOULD be on this list but it
does bring up the need for a discussion that does perhaps belong on this
list. And you allude to it in your last message when you say:

"I'm not sure if there is an Evergreen infrastructure team at this
point, but between the web site and git servers and blog and mailing lists
and wiki (and updates required for a number of those), it probably makes
sense for it to have some recognizable structure to enable people to
get involved with the effort - at least on a wiki page and/or mailing
list discussion, to begin with."

I suggest that there is in fact an infrastructure team and it was founded
as the Communication Committee and has evolved into what we call the Web
Team.  We undertook a very thorough assessment of the infrastructure and
communication needs of the Evergreen community and developed some
recommendations.  See
http://www.evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=webteam:webplan:2011  for
the documentation of all that work.  Since then, we've tried to make
incremental changes to get closer to what we learned the community
wanted/needed.  We've been minimally successful.

I think it is time we define areas of responsibility for parts of the
"Evergreen online ecosystem" rather than continuing to rely on the few
people who have traditionally been responsible. The Web Team has talked
about the identifying content owners for areas of the 'ecosystem' and we
will incorporate that idea into our Drupal demo site, but I think we could
make some moves in that direction on the existing site.

To begin with, let's make it explicit how it works now getting answers to
the following questions.

   - Who is in charge of making decisions about what is on the Evergreen
   website (e.g. the home page and blog areas)
   - Who actually can make changes?
   - What mechanism is used to determine when a change should be made?

Maybe if we understand better how it works now, we can make some decisions
about how we want it to work.

Lori