[Eg-oversight-board] Oversight Board Discussion List - Decision Needed

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed May 16 10:07:16 EDT 2012

Hi,

On 05/16/2012 09:46 AM, McKinney, Elizabeth wrote:
> Question: If we make the mailing list open to the world, should we
> require a name and organization in an attempt to ward off
> undesirables?

 > Question: Do we want to limit the Oversight Board mailing list to
 > members of the Board and those who need to receive our communications
 > directly in order to perform work on our behalf? (ie Shauna, Val,
 > Tara, Chris) Please note that our communications are archived and
 > available publicly.  Of course now that I've upset folks limiting it
 > will be an unpopular decision.

In the interest of full transparency, I think that the Oversight Board
mailing list should be open to any and all subscribers.  Further, if a
community member wishes to raise an issue to the board via the mailing
list, I consider that to be an appropriate venue.  I don't know of any
instance to date where a community member has abused the mailing list;
if such an event arises in the future, I would prefer that we deal with
it first via normal persuasion.

Of course, at times we may want to conduct votes and other formal board
business on the mailing list, but since we of course know who the
members are at all times, I wouldn't expect that there would be a
problem doing tallys.

I don't think that requiring name and organization is necessary at this
time.  Of course, we no doubt will get spammers subscribing every now
and again, but we can trust Chris' judgment regarding pruning obvious
spam accounts as part of normal list maintenance.

While the archives of course are and continue to be available, I know
that some community members would prefer to get board emails as they
occur, rather than having to remember to check the archives periodically.

There will no doubt be some occasions where the board will have a reason
to conduct correspondence in "closed session", but those should be
limited to the bare minimum necessary.

Regards,

Galen
--