[Eg-oversight-board] Thinking strategically: EOB involvement in "future of EG XUL client"?

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Sep 4 11:28:12 EDT 2013

On 9/4/2013 11:10 AM, Galen Charlton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Ben Hyman <ben.hyman at bc.libraries.coop
> <mailto:ben.hyman at bc.libraries.coop>> wrote:
>
>     What does this group think of something like a
>     "Resource-Allocator-A-Way" loosely based on the successful
>     Hack-A-Way model, and facilitated by the EOB? "Say what?"
>     Essentially, this would be an opportunity for resource allocator
>     types to a) come together b) learn of common cause c) brainstorm
>     methods to achieve common cause via protocol and - wait for it -
>     funding agreements and the like.
>

> I think this is a good idea, particularly as an event that's part of
> the Evergreen Conference and potentially the regional conferences --
> "part of" because I think that identifying the common causes is more
> easily done at times and places where developers and users gather.

When I first saw Ben's idea, I was thinking of it as an Evergreen Summit
where the resource allocators and developers would come together because
I do think it would be important for developers to be part of this
conversation. I'm guessing there are many infrastructure improvements
that the developers would like to see. However, they can't really act
upon those ideas because the resource allocators don't know about the
possibility of those improvements and, therefore, don't fund them.

The problem with doing something like this at the Evergreen conference
is that there is little time to address these topics in a comprehensive
manner. A separate summit to discuss these issues would ensure that we
can spend a full day exploring these questions and that everyone one
participating is somebody who wants to be part an active part of the
discussion.

Kathy