[Eg-oversight-board] Proposed conference photography policy

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Wed May 7 14:07:54 EDT 2014

Hi,

First stepping back to the overall proposed policy, I would think that
if somebody took photographs contrary to another's preference as
expressed by their lanyard, if the matter didn't get addressed on the
spot ("oops! I'm deleting that photo now"), then ultimately the
escalation path that the code of conduct suggests would be available,
i.e., "[e]vent participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or
expelled from the event without a refund at the discretion of the
event organizers."

I think the same thing would apply to speakers who do not wish to be
photographed, with the possible additional step of inserting a note in
the program regarding that speaker's preferences.

Obviously, the conference cannot absolutely prevent photographs from
being taken or put on social media, but it can react if there's an
incidence, and it can also set expectations for the attendees.

Regards,

Galen

--
Galen Charlton