[Eg-oversight-board] Code of Conduct Procedures

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Oct 16 13:49:21 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I'm sending along some background for the Code of Conduct topic I added
to the agenda.

Since we approved the Code of Conduct last March, I've come across
several reports of conferences (both in the technology or library
spheres) where codes of conduct were violated or some form of harassment
occurred. In one case, there was an active code of conduct in place and
formal complaints were made, but the conference organizers mishandled
the complaints.

It started me thinking about whether we have proper procedures in place
to enforce our code of conduct if it is violated. Since we don't really
have any procedures in place, I would say the answer is "no."

Our code of conducts states:
"If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed,
or have any other concerns, please contact a member of event staff
immediately. Event staff can be identified by a clearly marked “STAFF”
badge, button or shirt.

Event staff will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue
security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist
those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the
event. We value your attendance."

These statements lead me to believe that event staff will be responsible
for handling all reports of harassment. Given that we have a conference
planning committee that changes from year to year, I don't think this is
the best approach.

What I would like to see is the designation of two or three advocates
who are responsible for handling complaints. Any advocates should
receive training before conference time. In talking with Galen, he
mentioned that that Ada Initiative might be able to provide some
training on handling complaints over the phone if we requested it.

I don't have a problem with people reporting complaints to event staff
as long as all event planners/volunteers know who those advocates are. I
also think it would be good for those advocates to have time at each
conference to let people know who they are and to make sure our code of
conduct expectations are communicated at the conference.

I don't think we can come up with all of the procedures at today's
meeting, but I would be interested in working with a few other people on
developing some procedures and hearing if people have other ideas on how
complaints should be handled. These guidelines at the Geek Feminism wiki
might be a good starting point.
http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_anti-harassment/Responding_to_reports

Thanks!
Kathy