[Eg-oversight-board] Proposed amendment to EOB meeting minutes

Grace Dunbar gdunbar at esilibrary.com
Mon May 2 09:02:58 EDT 2016

I think a few things factored into this need for a correction to the
minutes.

We had a very full agenda
<http://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=governance:minutes:2016-4-21>
for that meeting which was only 45 minutes as opposed to our normal 60
minutes.  Tanya approached me just before the meeting started to request a
slot on the agenda.  I initially declined due to the late request and full
agenda but she was politely insistent and requested "two minutes", so I
added her to the agenda.  When she spoke, I recognized that her agenda item
should be given fuller attention/discussion by the Board but I didn't want
to sacrifice everything else on the agenda to get into those particulars.
There is the compounding factor that getting into a discussion about
perceived conflicts of interest and issues the conference committee had
this year has the potential for embarrassing or damaging the local
committee, as well as other vendors and organizations.

Tanya sought me out immediately after the meeting to clarify her comments
and I found out later that she did the same with others.  Since she felt
the need to clarify her words I suggested that we propose a correction and
Ruth worked with Tanya to revise the wording.  In a pressure situation our
words sometimes come out wrong, especially when we're trying to reflect on
complex issues in a compressed time frame.  In my opinion, giving Tanya the
opportunity to clarify her own words is not only acceptable, but necessary.

-Grace

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 7:08 PM, Ruth Frasur <director at hagerstownlibrary.org
> [...]

>> Thanks, Ruth, for bringing this to the Board's attention.
>>
>> +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
>> Amy Terlaga
>> Director of Member Services
>> Bibliomation
>> 24 Wooster Avenue
>> Waterbury, CT 06708
>> terlaga at biblio.org
>> 203-577-4070 x101
>>
>> On Apr 29, 2016, at 5:43 PM, Terran McCanna <
>> tmccanna at georgialibraries.org> wrote:
>>
>> Since these conversations took place outside of the meeting, they should
>> not alter the official meeting record. I am particularly concerned by the
>> change in wording regarding the conflict of interest issue, since the new
>> wording puts a very different slant on the problem than the original did,
>> and on what I witnessed Tanya say during that meeting.
>>
>> I would be willing to consider an addendum to the record only if it is
>> approved by Tanya, but I am opposed to any change of the original wording.
>>
>> Terran McCanna
>> PINES Program Manager
>> Georgia Public Library Service
>> 1800 Century Place, Suite 150
>> Atlanta, GA 30345
>> 404-235-7138
>> tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
>> On Apr 29, 2016 1:27 PM, "Ruth Frasur" <director at hagerstownlibrary.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear EOB members,
>>>
>>> During the EOB meeting at the 2016 Evergreen International Conference,
>>> Tanya Prokrym expressed concerns related to the conference planning
>>> experience.  Following that meeting, Tanya clarified her comments in
>>> conversations (via face to face interactions and/or email) with Grace
>>> Dunbar, Yamil Suarez, Amy Terlaga, and myself.
>>>
>>> Based on her clarification and with her input, I proposed that the
>>> minutes from the EOB meeting be amended as follows.
>>>
>>> *Current language*
>>>
>>> Issues for 2016's conference / Tanya
>>>

>>>    - Emails that created extra stress
>>>    - Need to look at relationship between EOB, SFC, and Conference
>>>    committee
>>>    - Not provided with a clear set of expectations about who had
>>>    authority to do what
>>>    - Didn’t know the right questions to ask
>>>    - Sponsorships
>>>    - Conflict of interest to have a point of contact be a vendor
>>>
>>> *Proposed Amended Language*
>>>
>>> Issues for 2016's conference/Tanya
>>>
>>>    - Email threads that were contradictory or confusing which created
>>>    stress
>>>    - Should examine the conference structure and clarify the
>>>    roles/authority of the EOB, SFC, Conference Committee, and Host Committee
>>>     to manage expectations and clarify procedures
>>>    - External pressure from some vendors and other organizations was
>>>    levied against the local  conference committee claiming conflict of
>>>    interest due to the host committee's vendor relationship
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ruth Frasur
>>> Director of the Historic(ally Awesome) Hagerstown - Jefferson Township
>>> 10 W. College Street in Hagerstown, Indiana (47346)
>>> p (765) 489-5632; f (765) 489-5808
>>>
>>> *Our Kickin' Website <http://hagerstownlibrary.org>,  Our Rockin'
>>> Facebook Page <http://facebook.com/hjtplibrary>,  and The Nettle Creek
>>> Players <http://nettlecreekplayers.com>*

> Ruth Frasur
> Director of the Historic(ally Awesome) Hagerstown - Jefferson Township
> Library
> 10 W. College Street in Hagerstown, Indiana (47346)
> p (765) 489-5632; f (765) 489-5808
>
> *Our Kickin' Website <http://hagerstownlibrary.org>,  Our Rockin' Facebook
> Page <http://facebook.com/hjtplibrary>,  and The Nettle Creek Players
> <http://nettlecreekplayers.com>*