[Eg-oversight-board] Draft of Executive session wording

Terran McCanna tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
Tue May 24 16:56:23 EDT 2016

Grace and Ruth,

Thank you for the hard work that's been put in already.

I've been mulling it over since yesterday, and I think overall it reads
very well, but that it should be more explicit about what types of
situations would constitute the need for an Executive Session or for a
private email list conversation to ensure that they are only used if
absolutely necessary. The current language is somewhat vague and words like
'sensitive' and 'prudent' can be subjective.

I know that none of us want to give anyone a reason to think that the EOB
is making decisions behind closed doors, or even worse, for a private
meeting to actually end up causing accusations of  unfairness / abuse of
power / conflict of interest / etc. that may have been avoided had the
meeting been open in the first place.

Perhaps incorporating a few example scenarios of situations that would call
for an Executive Session would be useful to help clarify the need, both for
the community members, and for those of us who may be on the fence as to
whether a problem should be discussed openly or privately.

I think it would also be useful if it were clearer about the scheduling and
participation of an Executive Session... Do these meetings follow the same
quorum rules as the public meetings? Do the meetings get posted when
scheduled so that the community knows that they are happening? Do they have
to be scheduled with a certain amount of lead time to allow all board
members to arrange their schedules, or can they be called at any time?

Regards,
Terran

Terran McCanna
PINES Program Manager