[Eg-oversight-board] Fwd: Evergreen participation in Outreachy?

Terran McCanna tmccanna at georgialibraries.org
Thu Sep 8 11:55:30 EDT 2016

I'm with Kathy on this.

>>Bringing this thread back to my original question, I'm not sure
participating in a short-term internship program is the right way to grow
the developer community. It's helpful in getting more new programmers to
learn how to work in an open-source community and, from our successful GSoC
experiences, it has led to new features for the software. I think these are
all great things. However, I'm not quite sure what the hook is to keep
those former interns active in our community. If we had a mentorship
program that worked with people who are planning to or already working in
libraries, I might feel differently because there is more of an interest to
stay involved. Even if they don't stay involved, they will continue to
remember their Evergreen experience at some future point when their
libraries are exploring ILS options.<<

It's always nice to get more people involved on any level, and I'm
certainly not opposed to internship opportunities, but I also think that a
mentorship problem would be much more valuable if we can find a way to make
that happen.

Terran

Terran McCanna
PINES Program Manager