[Evergreen-catalogers] alternative method for labels?

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Wed Jul 18 13:35:49 EDT 2012

Sorry I haven't responded to this before, I've been out of the office
doing a special project. Finally catching up to with some lists!

Do you just print spine labels? If you do you can use the handy program
from the Branch District Library in Michigan at
http://www.branchdistrictlibrary.org/professional/labels/  It does limit
the label stock you can use. We were hoping to be able to use this with
other label stock but have hit some kind of a road block with it.

You can also use MSWords mail merge functionality. I've used it fairly
successfully to print rare book id strips for the special project and can
give you some quick instructions if you are interested. We have some old
ones written up that I am going to try to update this week. The main thing
with it is getting mail merge itself set up for your label stock.

Printing spine/pocket labels is much more problematic. While some of our
libraries continue to use the Okidata printers for this, some use label
printers and receipt printers to do so fairly effectively. I am uncertain
of the quality of the labels from both of those devices. They seem to fade
easily.

I did make a stab at using mail merge for spine/pocket label printing but
couldn't determine how to create a mail merge file that used two different
sized labels on one sheet.

Elaine

  _____

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects & Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service
1800 Century Place, Ste 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304

404.235-7128