[Evergreen-catalogers] Volume Information: Classification Scheme

sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us sarahc at zionsville.lib.in.us
Fri May 4 15:35:53 EDT 2012

Thanks for the info! Comments, questions below.

> While our default classification scheme is Dewey (and all PINES
> libraries
> use Dewey), existing records were set to Generic when we migrated.
> As we
> add new volumes, PINES catalogers have been setting the call
> number to
> Dewey. We have discovered this means that in call number browse,
> the
> generic numbers sort differently from the Dewey numbers. If you do
> a call
> number browse, those set to Dewey sort first and then the Generic
> sort,
> even if they are the same number.

I was thinking we might get results like that.

We are going to flip all Generic
> Dewey when we have had a chance to test to make sure it doesn't
> cause
> something else to happen.

I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

It sounds like you are currently setting everything to Dewey, even
if the call number is a different scheme (like Fic, local media
schemes, etc.)?  Is that right?

> I think it is your default classification scheme that determines
> what
> suggested call number is pulled from the record.

So you are getting Dewey numbers supplied?  That would be nice.
That might be a benefit to switching.

Are you using prefixes and suffixes at all?