[Evergreen-catalogers] Updating Authority records with linked bibs

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Tue Apr 23 14:56:43 EDT 2013

On Apr 23, 2013, at 1:17 PM, Mark Cooper wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> I'm currently in the process of testing authority records in
> Evergreen, and this is one element of the evaluation. Here's what
> I've found so far (more experienced folks jump in and correct me
> please if I'm wrong about anything!):
>
> 1. Most obvious way to update an authority is to search for it under
> 'Manage authorities', select 'Edit' and update the record. Editing
> an authority record in this way WILL update the heading displayed in
> a bib record where they are linked (there should be a $0 reference).
>
> 2. Batch updating authority records is not possible using the staff
> client. There is no authority record overlay feature currently:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/867691
>
> 3. There are no authority record buckets for doing something
> equivalent to batch edit from a bib record bucket.
>
> 4. I've been testing batch updates at the database level, updating
> the marc on authortity.record_entry which seems to work just fine.
>
> 5. We do authority record processing with Marcive. They provide
> "updated" authority records to us each month. Because there are no
> authority overlays, and no Evergreen ids in those records, currently
> we'll need a process to identify the existing records in the
> database, then do the update process as above.
> Small aside, we'll need to do the same thing with the "deleted"
> authority records they send us (identify and set to deleted), which
> poses a separate issue:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1164189
>
> 6. Finally, I've been meaning to take a look at MVLC's repo for
> handling authority records to see if there's anything to learn from
> how they're doing it in production with Backstage:
> http://git.mvlcstaff.org/?p=jason/backstage.git;a=summary
>
> Hopefully that's all accurate and useful!
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Cooper
> Open Source Software Coordinator
> Sonoma County Library
> Santa Rosa, CA
> mcooper at sonoma.lib.ca.us
> 707-545-0831 x1521

Mark,

Thank you very much for your response, even though I am not the one
who posed the original question, I found your answers quite useful.

One more thing to you and he rest of the catalogers list, I noticed
that in the authority related bugs you put in Launchpad you tagged the
bugs with the term "authority". At the recent EG conference and on
this list there has been talk about tagging authority related bugs
with the term "authorities," so the other authority related bugs could
be found easier. In the past when I tagged my authority related bugs I
have used both "authority" and "authorities" to be d=safe. I wonder if
we should try to use both terms or try to only use one?

Thanks again,
Yamil

BTW, Where you add the EG conference?