[Evergreen-catalogers] 100 to 150 authority switcheroos

Jane Sandberg sandbej at linnbenton.edu
Wed May 25 18:10:59 EDT 2016

Hi colleagues,

As many of you know, the Library of Congress is switching fictitious
and mythical characters from being subject authorities (x50) to being
name authorities (x00).  For example, in the most recent batch, Barbie
has been switched from a subject authority to a name authority.

We're just getting started with authority control in our consortium,
so I would like to know how you would make such a switch.  The three
thoughts I had:

1) Importing the new Barbie-as-name authority record, and merging it
with the old Barbie-as-subject record.  I don't think this'll work,
though, since I don't believe I can merge two authorities of different
types in the staff client.

2) My old procedure of exporting the records into MarcEdit and making
the change there, then re-uploading.  This'd work, but I wanted to see
if there was a smart way to do this entirely within Evergreen.

3) Just going into the record and changing the 150 to a 100 (and
making the other necessary changes).  I haven't tested to see if
that'd actually swap 650s to 600s in the linked bib records, though.

Would any of these work?  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

  -Jane

--
Jane Sandberg
Electronic Resources Librarian