[Evergreen-catalogers] Integrating Browse in Searches

Sylvia Orner sorner at albright.org
Tue Apr 11 09:20:24 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

It was very nice meeting some of you at this year's conference.  I learned a lot, and it got me thinking a lot.  One thing in particular that's periodically problematic in our catalog is the author search.  I know a lot of the catalogers I spoke to were running into similar issues where a patron will do an author search for J.A. Jance, but return zero results because the authorized form of her name is Judith A. Jance.  Most of them wouldn't think to go to  Browse the Catalog to look up her up.  I am wondering if there is a way to connect the authority information to the general search so that a patron could search J.A. Jance and get appropriate results.  Or, if not, has anyone found a workaround that might help patrons find what they're looking for?

Thanks,

Sylvia Orner
Head of Technical Services
Scranton Public Library