[Evergreen-catalogers] Searching records containing an 856 $9

Donald Butterworth don.butterworth at asburyseminary.edu
Wed Jun 14 09:28:22 EDT 2017

Catalogers,

You'd think after using Evergreen for 3 years we would have our act
together when it comes to ebook records. Not.

We have not been using the $9 option in our 856 tags, and it has become
painfully obvious that we need to, now that two of the smaller libraries in
our consortium are ready to come online. All of our restricted ebooks are
showing up in their catalogs, and overwhelming their search results. This
must change before they go public.

I have been resisting this because whenever a $9 is used, the only way to
find the bib record is to be logged into a library that already includes
the $9. We cannot even find the record when logged in at the consortium
level.

An example:
AU already has an ebook which they purchased years ago as part of a
Netlibrary package, that ATS now wants to purchase. Their bib record has an
856 tag with the $9AU. I log in at the consortium level, search for the
title, and find nothing. I log in at my local branch level and find
nothing. So I import a duplicate bib record. Not good. I should just be
adding a second 856 tag, and I sure don't want to accidentally wipe out
their 856 tag with an overlay.

How are the rest of you handling this scenario? Is there a setting that I
am missing? Is this a bug? Surely it isn't a feature. Making the title
searchable at the consortium level would solve our problem.

Thanks for your insights!

Don

--
Don Butterworth