[Evergreen-catalogers] Z39.50 Targets

Thomsen, Elizabeth et at noblenet.org
Wed Aug 21 10:57:16 EDT 2019

We use SkyRiver as our primary source of cataloging records and are
reasonably happy with it, but we're interested in providing more access to
Z39.50 targets for both consortium and library staff.

I'm looking at NC Cardinal's excellent cataloging documentation
<https://nccardinalsupport.org/index.php?pg=kb.printer.friendly&id=3#p51>,
which includes several sources from large libraries and library systems --
Milwaukee PL, Sacramento PL, UNC, Cuyahoga County, etc.  I'd like to hear
more about how other systems are using Z39.50 with targets other than OCLC
and SkyRiver.  Where do you find the targets -- so many of the lists are
out of date.  Do you ask for permission to use them and import records?
Should we be encouraging more sharing of Z39.50 targets among Evergreen
libraries?  Any issues you've run into with configurations?

There are a lot of Launchpad bugs with the Z39.50 tag that are New,
Wishlist, Undecided, etc., that could use some attention: Launchpad bugs
tagged z3950 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bugs?field.tag=z3950>

We're particularly interested in this one: Web client: needs Z39.50 batch
search option <https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1798847>

--
Elizabeth B. Thomsen
Member Services Manager