[Evergreen-catalogers] auto-generate barcodes

Chrisy Schroth Chrisy.Schroth at kentonlibrary.org
Thu Jun 13 15:31:22 EDT 2019

Hi Beth,
I haven’t actually used this feature since we migrated to Evergreen so I had forgotten all about it. Your email reminded me, and since I was curious, I logged into our test database to see if it worked. After I went into the Defaults tab and selected those boxes, I did get it to work as I expected it to do.

I went to holdings > add call numbers and items > changed my number of items to 6 > it created 5 additional lines for barcodes, etc. > scanned the first barcode into the first box, and it generated the next 5 on the roll correctly.

I did then check to see if it made a difference if you were creating more items on an existing call number. Initially it did not work, until I checked the defaults tab, and saw that the boxes were not checked on this view. Once I checked them again and then tried creating 6 items again, it filled in the next 5 barcodes after the one scanned.

If I put in the first barcode into the first box, THEN changed it to 6 items instead of only the one, it did not autogenerate the rest of the barcodes.

I also tried to create 4 items on 4 different call numbers/owning libraries, and it did not autogenerate barcodes. If I remember correctly, this is consistent with how it worked in our previous ILS as well, that they all had to be the same call number or location or whatever. I think I only ever used it to create the volumes 2-?? on a set of encyclopedias or something like that. I hope this helps.

Thanks and have a great day!
Chrisy

Chrisy Schroth
Assistant Cataloger/Serials Coordinator