[Evergreen-catalogers] Terminology in Cataloging

Janet Schrader jschrader at cwmars.org
Tue Jan 21 17:34:25 EST 2020

Hi Beth,

There is a difference between what's edited using the selections below. The
"Edit call numbers" opens a screen with only the call numbers, no item
record. This is helpful if you scan in a list of barcodes to change, add,
remove a prefix, say from NEW to blank.
There really is no difference in the web client, that I can see, between
"Edit items" and "Edit items and call numbers". Both open the item record
screen with both call number and the item record. I think this is a
holdover from the xul client where "Edit items" opened a single item record
screen containing only the item record fields, no call number. If multiple
items are to be edited all displayed in the same item record.
In xul there was no way to edit multiple items attached to different bibs
at the same time. The choice to "Edit items/Volumes Per Bib" opened a tab
for each bib record.

Since the "Hide (or Show) Holdings Details" can suppress the call number
area, is it really necessary to have two choices, "Edit items" and "Edit
call numbers and items" when both do the same?

Feel free, anyone, to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Janet

Janet Schrader

Bibliographic Services Supervisor | CW MARS

67 Millbrook Street, Suite 201, Worcester, MA 01606

P: 508-755-3323 x 325 | F: 508-757-7801

jschrader at cwmars.org  ||  http;//cwmars.org <http://www.cwmars.org/>