[Evergreen-catalogers] Null values in holdings templates

Willis, Beth willis at noblenet.org
Thu Jun 10 18:07:39 EDT 2021

One of our libraries has created a holdings template for Summer Reading
titles.  This template sets values only for the Shelving Location and the
Circulation Modifier.  When applied to an existing item, only these two
fields should be updated.  Instead, application of this template removes
the values for the statistical categories.  Since the statistical
categories are required elements of our holdings templates, the items
cannot be saved unless these fields are then edited manually.

I can see in the template file that the values for the statistical
categories are set to null.  I have seen null values in holdings templates
when a value has been set for a field but then the value is deleted and the
template is resaved; or when a field is inadvertently selected as part of a
template, but no value has been assigned.

In this instance, I am not sure why the values are null.  The library that
created the template did not select these fields as part of this template.

I don't see any way to fix this problem without editing the template file
directly to remove the statistical categories and values.

Do your libraries use holdings templates in this manner -- to change just
one or two selected fields?

Have you run into this problem with null values in templates?  If so, have
you found a solution other than editing the template file?

Thank you.
Beth

--
Beth Willis