[Evergreen-catalogers] Transferring "Item only" to different bib record

Chrisy Schroth Chrisy.Schroth at kentonlibrary.org
Thu May 20 15:27:02 EDT 2021

Hi Janet,
I have never transferred anything from the bib record screen, and didn’t even realize until after reading your email that there was an option to do so. We have always used the holdings view to transfer items (items for dealing with items, bibs for dealing with bibs). Transferring items has become a much more confusing task since we switched from XUL to the web client. In XUL (and it looks like upcoming in the Angular catalog) you could choose the library without choosing an individual call number within that library, and that allowed you to easily transfer the both the on order call number as well as the item. It’s hard to remember XUL (it’s been 2+ years) but I think there were more menu choices for both marking as well as transferring, which allowed you to be more precise in exactly what it was that you wanted to move and how you wanted to do it.

I think this is probably what your library is remembering, as I think that if you chose the library as the destination, rather than one of the call numbers, even if you selected “item” it had no choice but to take the on order call number with it. In this new version, as long as they want to move all the items attached to that on order call number to the same destination, I think that if they marked it and made sure to say transfer the call number, not the item, it should do what they want.

This bug from Elaine https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1913766  brings up the fact that we no longer have a confirmation dialog to make sure we are transferring an item to the proper location, which is somewhat related to this problem.

The only time that we “transfer” anything from the bib record screen is if all the items on the new bib need to be moved to an older one (such as the serial bib record), and we just merge the bibs. That has the added bonus of moving the Acquisitions order information with the item(s) to the older bib record. Transferring the item leaves the order information behind on the record it was ordered on, instead of moving it to the record that the item was moved to. Clicking view/place orders and not having an order there for items that are on the record is confusing to everyone, so we prefer when we can keep them linked together. Hope this helps!

Thanks and have a great day!
Chrisy

Chrisy Schroth
Assistant Cataloger/Serials Coordinator