[Evergreen-dev] OpenSRF / Redis / Rust

Bill Erickson berickxx at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 10:20:08 EDT 2023

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 4:17 PM Galen Charlton via Evergreen-dev <
evergreen-dev at list.evergreen-ils.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 4:09 PM Jeff Davis via Evergreen-dev <
> evergreen-dev at list.evergreen-ils.org> wrote:
> > Whichever language the community chooses, I am excited about the Redis
> >  development! I'm glad Bill has been pushing this forward.
>
> I would like to echo this sentiment. I think the Redis work has the
> potential to be an infrastructure change that is directly and immediately
> apparent to users via greater speed and responsiveness in the interfaces,
> and in the short term I'm in favor of whatever gets RediSRF moving along
> the fastest.

Makes sense.  I'm also eager to get this code into production.

My takeaways:

1. There is interest in Rust, but we need to marinate a bit more.
2. The Redis changes should proceed as an independent project.  I'll see
what I can do about the remaining work.

Notably, the Redis branch is required for any of the Rust code that I've
developed to work.  So, moving OpenSRF to Redis is a good first step
regardless.

Thanks again for the thoughtful responses,

-b