[Evergreen-dev] Updates on translations

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxoli.org
Thu May 4 09:48:28 EDT 2023

Hi,

Following up on discussions regarding internalization and localization
(I18N/L10N0 at the Evergreen Conference, here are some updates:

- Blake Graham-Henderson has volunteered to assume responsibility for
technical maintenance of the I18N infrastructure, including LP translations
and POEditor.
- I have caught up with setting up translation series in Launchpad for
every Evergreen release stream. The translation series for 3.11 can be set
up once rel_3_11 is branched off as part of preparing the 3.11 beta release.
- This morning I discovered that imports from Git for Launchpad's
master/main translation series have been failing since April 2022. I am
recreating the setup required to import new strings for that translation
series; the upshot is that later today or tomorrow there will be a slew of
new strings showing up to translate.
- Some procedural changes discussed during the conference include:

* Automating string export to Launchpad, either periodically or upon a push
to Git
* Similarly, automating string export to POEditr

- There was also some discussion about the tools used for translation,
along the lines of:

* Can we consolidate down to one tool for all strings, rather than using
both Launchpad and POEditor?
* Is there a preferred tool? Launchpad isn't set up to handle the
translation formats used by the Evergreen Angular client, but POEditor
could handle both the Angular strings and the non-Angular ones.
* Is there another tool that would be even better for people doing the
translations?
* Noting that if we decide to move to GitHub or the like, that GitHub does
_not_ provide a built-in translation tool the way that Launchpad does.

Feedback very much invited.

Regards,

Galen
--