[Evergreen-general] Question about updating manual carousels

John Amundson jamundson at cwmars.org
Fri Mar 19 11:21:53 EDT 2021

Hello!

I have been wading my way through Carousels in Evergreen in preparation for
my network's upgrade to 3.5.3.

I have searched Launchpad and cannot find a bug for the following, so I
just want to make sure I'm not missing something before I create one.

I created a manual carousel from a bucket and then a mapping. The carousel
displayed nicely and in the order I added the titles to the bucket. So far,
so good.

I then added additional titles to my bucket. To my surprise, the carousel
entries did not update in the catalog.

When I view the "link to bucket" field in Carousels Configuration, the
carousel links to a different bucket than the one I created, specifically
one with a name of "System-created bucket for carousel 197 copied from
bucket 1257746".

Refreshing the manual carousel isn't allowed, and I do not have access to
the new bucket through my "Buckets" dropdown.

The only way I have found to add new titles to this bucket is through the
"Record Query" interface, which is not as robust as catalog searching.

This is not very intuitive and makes it hard for library staff to maintain
their own manual carousels.

Are others using carousels seeing this behavior? And if so, how do you work
around it?

For now, I see the best workaround as creating a new carousel for every
change, then removing the old carousel.

Thanks,
John

John Amundson | Library Applications Supervisor | CW MARS

jamundson at cwmars.org | 508-755-3323 x322 <%28508%29%20755-3323>

https://www.cwmars.org

he/him/his <https://www.mypronouns.org/he-him>