[Evergreen-general] Lost Items - Window of Opportunity?

Jennifer Pringle jennifer.pringle at bc.libraries.coop
Fri Feb 11 15:28:30 EST 2022

Hello Dana,

I think you want to take a look at the following library settings
which may help with the replacement cost must be paid part.

"Void lost max interval" - items lost longer than the value entered
for this setting don't have the billing voided on return
So if you set this to 30 days the bills will not be removed from the
patron's account if the item is eventually returned

"Prohibit negative balance on bills for lost materials" - when set to
true Evergreen won't allow you to have a negative balance related to a
lost item
Negative Balance Interval for Lost - when used in conjunction with the
above setting it implements an interval after which no negative
balances related to lost are allowed

I think the difference between "Void lost max interval" and the
negative balance settings is that the "Void lost max interval" only
applies to check-ins whereas the negative balance settings apply to
manual refunds through the billing interface as well.  Someone who is
more familiar with these settings might be able to correct me or
provide a better explanation.

I don't think there's currently a way in Evergreen to specify that
lost items should behave differently at check in based on when the
item is returned.  I can see it being a potentially useful feature for
Evergreen to block the check in of a lost item if it's passed the
point of the library issuing refunds, or give the staff member some
indication of this rather than just the generic lost item being
returned message.  I know some libraries that require the patron to
pay for the item at that point, as they've often already replaced it,
and the original item is then deleted from the system and given to the
patron.

Hope this helps,

Jennifer

Quoting Dana Schwarz via Evergreen-general

--
Jennifer Pringle (she/her)
Co-op Support - Training Lead
Email:jennifer.pringle at bc.libraries.coop
Website: http://bc.libraries.coop

Gratefully acknowledging that I live and work in the unceded
Traditional Territory of the St'at'yemc Nations.