[Evergreen-general] Chromebox for computer labs?

Josh Stompro stomproj at gsuite.larl.org
Fri Jan 26 15:12:59 EST 2024

Hello Kevin, good to hear from you.

We currently use Cassie with our chromebooks that we checkout for in
library use along with Google Workspace management.  We check them out for
the day, so we don't really need the Cassie computer management, but using
it for printing made that part easy.  Printing works the same as our
windows public computers which makes it easier on staff to not have a
different method for them.  Setup was a little tricky because I kept
running into bugs, but Librarica support was able to fix issues as they
came up, or provide work arounds.  They are also pretty good at allowing
test licenses to try things out if you want to get something setup before.

Librarica has a guide to getting Cassie up and running on ChromeOS.  You
setup the cassie app to be force installed for each session in the google
admin.

I have heard of very few problems with this setup.  And upgrading cassie is
way easier for the chromebooks then having to deploy the update to windows
machines locked down with deepfreeze.

We also make use of Papercut Mobility to handle chromeos and public
wireless printing in our small sites that are open less than 10 hours a
week.  That is free, but doesn't give you any sort of release control.  It
just gets the print jobs to the printer and can deal with printers that are
not new enough to have native chromeos support.

There is also a "ChromeOS in Libraries" group that doesn't have a huge
amount of traffic, but people are usually responsive when questions are
asked.
https://groups.google.com/g/chromebooks_lib

Josh

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 6:59 PM Kevin Co via Evergreen-general <