[evergreen-outreach] work on annual report

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 12:03:34 EDT 2018

A few thoughts and suggestions about the ongoing process on the annual
report.  Unless someone can provide a good argument otherwise I'm going to
consider these suggestions a given that we will go with them.

I haven't been using the change log.  I like the idea of it but the visual
design process doesn't lend itself well to it up front and it's additional
book keeping I don't find useful.

However, we do need to assign some tasks and organize getting stuff done.
We did organize content responsibility last year but not layout, which
shared responsibility for is presumably why we now have Scribus files
loaded in Google Drive.  I've added a tag to the sign out Google Sheet with
task as they stand, as I see them, for each page at this point.  Some are
minor and I've made a column marked bite sized.  There is also an assignee
column.  Feel free to add yourselves!

The tasks are as I see them now.  If you want to break them up for more
granularity and divide tasks for different folks then go for it.  But, I
want to stress that right now we're pretty much in the last lap.  This
needs to happen.  As I progress if things aren't taken I'll take the
remaining areas of layout.  As it stands today I've added text everywhere
we have it though there is still some outstanding from community members.
I'm going to ask Kathy to chase those down since I think most if not all
are on pages she's working on.   (It's just a few to be clear so that it
doesn't sound like it's a huge list or anything.)

What I would really like is for when a page is finished that you basically
issue the equivalent of a pull request.  We can generate PDFs of those
pages and I'd like them reviewed for content/spelling/grammar and get two
sign offs.  I have some listed in the sheet already for pages I've worked
on.  That way many people can review and those who currently have access,
the 'core committers' to use an existing paradigm as a metaphor can make
changes if need be.

At the end I'd like three of us to then do a full review for consistency
and style before we stamp it done.  I will be working fast and furious on
this in the next few weeks and since time is short and coordination takes a
additional time as overhead I will be taking point on pushing some task
deadlines unless someone else would like to fill that role, in which case I
will gladly step aside.