[Evergreen-web-team] organizing tasks

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Wed Dec 11 13:31:56 EST 2013

For a little background:

We have over the last few months thrown around various ideas about better
organizing to handle web site tasks.  One aspect of this discussion was in
regards to roles.  After a long exploration of the pros and cons of broad
and narrow approaches my gauge of that conversation is that perhaps we were
barking up the wrong tree.

In the midst of this I tossed up a simple google doc to let us do some
collaboration and track some bite sized tasks to help people get started:

https://docs.google.com/a/yclibrary.net/document/d/1AvGW1NTJVM7y5MeokT6um3OjapOCUDqdDDTqpsQ03F0/edit

This was actually deemed a lot more useful than all the chat about roles
and the "grab what you can when you can" approach was a lot more
productive.  I personally like this approach because it's a lot more
community oriented in a way that feels natural to me.

I agreed after the last web meeting to follow up and start a discussion
about tools that could be used to help us co-ordinate.  Rather than discuss
tools I'm going to throw out four general approaches and see if we can get
some kind of consensus.

1) Listserv.  This approach is the easiest to implement but lacks any kind
of tracking or additional structure.  I would argue this isn't friendly to
new users and things fall through the cracks too easily.

2) A "launchpad" type approach.  I was asked about this specifically but I
think it's a bad analogy because launchpad, while having bug tracking, is
really meant for software collaboration and I think it would be a lot of
unproductive overhead.

3) A help desk.  This is probably the best fit for the workflows I imagine
though we will need to set one  up.  There are even themes to mold
wordpress into a help desk though all the ones I know of are commercial.

4) The collaborative document approach.  This is what the google doc does
and it works fairly well but obviously lacks features for tracking and
resolving that would be preferred.

Thoughts?  I think I have a clear bias towards a help desk approach.

--

Rogan Hamby, MLS, CCNP, MIA
Managers Headquarters Library and Reference Services,

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit
me."
-- C.S. Lewis <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1069006.C_S_Lewis>