[Evergreen-web-team] ways to co-ordinate web team

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Tue Jan 14 11:39:07 EST 2014

Since the last web team meeting my action item was to evaluate options.  In
the discussion we had three explicit votes for a help desk approach and no
dissenting opinions so unless there is conversation to lead in another
direction I am going to assume at this point that is where we should be
looking.

Two options were proposed: redmine and trello.

Redmine describes itself as project management software.  It is open
source, built on ruby. I haven't had time to download and set it up so I
don't have a good sense of the workflows inherent in it.  Looking at their
lists of users obviously it's pretty robust.  Does it fit our help desk
needs?  I just don't know.

Trello is a hosted application which means less infrastructure for us to
manage (that's good) but I'm not sure of it's utility as a help desk.  I
can readily see it's value for coordinating a group on tasks like editorial
planning (which there are tutorials for) but the ticket like operation I
would expect on a help desk I don't see there though that might just be my
ignorance.

What do folks think about something like OSTicket - http://osticket.com/ ?
 I haven't downloaded it yet but at first glance it seems to be viable.  At
least it has the major features I think of as a help desk.

--

Rogan Hamby, MLS, CCNP, MIA
Managers Headquarters Library and Reference Services,

"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop
reading them."
-- Ray Bradbury <https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1630.Ray_Bradbury>

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit
me."
-- C.S. Lewis <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1069006.C_S_Lewis>