[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Trying to build Evergreen on FC6=splat!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Dec 24 17:16:45 EST 2006

On Sunday 24 December 2006 16:15, Dan Scott wrote:
>Merry Christmas, Gene!
>
>You'll notice that
>http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=installing_prerequisites_on_red
>_hat_fedora explicitly says: "Here is some basic information, please
> join the mailing list at http://open-ils.org/listserv.html and help
> improve this documentation!"

I have joined, but the list is rather quiet, as if everybody is
celebrating Christmas, a very worthwhile occupation at the moment.

I am attempting to help a friend build up a library of apps that don't
seem to be included in most distros, but which, like this one, could if
properly compiled, be a great use to people who seem to be married to M$
because of the system their app runs on.  I suspect my local librarian,
who can be difficult when she thinks a copyright violation might be
involved, is probably paying her salary in software costs per year.
Something like this might give her some peace of mind the commercial apps
don't.  Or at least I would hope so.  And it certainly would allow that
piece of a small town's (circa 5000, 7500 for the county) very limited
budget to be spent for other, much more usefull purchases.  As a taxpayer
that helps support it, I'm very much in favor of anything that slows the
M$ $iphon down to a lower level if not pulled completely out of the tank.

>This is another way of saying that that's the best we've got at the
>moment. We're trying to flesh the generic instructions
>(http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=server_installation) out
>with distribution-specific instructions. If you can help with Fedora,
>that would be great! Otherwise, keep an eye on things; we'll
>eventually get there. I'm working on the Gentoo and Ubuntu
>instructions, personally, and have made a good deal of progress
>(although I've been coasting for the last couple of weeks).
>
>Dan

I'll see if I can make some headway for FC6 in the next weeks.

Thanks & have a Merry Christmas, Dan & family.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)