SPAM: Re: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Debian version/GCC version

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 23:50:42 EST 2007

On 2/18/07, Grace Liu <gyliu86 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Don and Mike.
>
> As to linux distro, if Debian is ok, I would prefer it to Gentoo as I am
> more familar with it than Gentoo. But Debian Etch has some weird behaviours
> and is still in testing while Debian sarge is more stable although its
> kernel is a little left behind. From my site, the advantage for using Bebian
> Etch is that it already has postgreSQL 8.1.6 while Debian Sarge has
> postgreSQL 7.?.?. I can install postgreSQL 8.1.6 from testing sources list
> to Debian Sarge but worry about the misfunctions as they are made from
> different gcc versions which cause me some headache sometime.
>
> Here comes 2 questions:
>
> Question 1:
> If I use Debian Sarge and postgreSQL 7.?.?, would the openils work on it? Or
> the openils need the postgreSQL 8.1.? or above ?

Postgres 7.4.x might work, but it isn't supported.  At this point 8.x
has been out for over two years, and there are some known deficiencies
in the 7.x series that would make certain queries very slow.  Since
development started soon before the release of 8.0 and we were
planning on releasing after about 2 years of development we've been
targeting version 8 and up all along.

On a brighter note, for what it's worth Etch has been working well for
us in production.

mrylander at gmail.com
GPLS -- PINES Development
Database Developer