[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Disk space requirements?

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 14:18:11 EDT 2007

On 6/7/07, Sperr, Edwin <sperr at nelinet.net> wrote:
> Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the docs...
>
> I'm planning on doing a clean Ubuntu/evergreen install, according to the
> instructions at
> (http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=installing_evergreen_on_ubuntu
> _7.04).
>
> As this will be on a virtual machine, I'd like to get the disk size
> dialed-in to Goldilocks size (not too large, not too small, but just
> right).  Any pointers for how much room such an install would run to
> (along with space for a few hundred thousand bib records)?

A database with about 115k bib records and nearly 800k items takes a
little under 5GB to store on disk, fully indexed with the default
configuration.  That doesn't include the Postgres WAL overhead
(configurable) or slack space that can build up in other more active
tables.

As a baseline, I would say you'd want about 4GB per 100k bibs, plus
500MB per million items, and the same again for patrons and circs.
YMMV, etc ... :)

--miker