[OPEN-ILS-DEV] SPAM: MySQL support?

Jack Bates ms419 at freezone.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 22:36:12 EDT 2007

Hi, I've been hired to setup an open source ILS for three small
libraries at Simon Fraser University. We are looking at a couple
projects, but Evergreen seems to have the most momentum behind it.

Currently we're installing Evergreen on a local server, but would
eventually like to move to a hosting package. Each library has
approximately 4000 holdings and currently doesn't see heavy use, so
maximum performance is not our first concern, however finding a hosting
package which supports Evergreen is.

Most hosting packages include MySQL, which some of our other web
applications (MediaWiki) require. I'm not sure how difficult it will be
to find a hosting package which includes PostgreSQL. We are considering
a managed, colocated server, but still feel running Evergreen on MySQL
would give us more flexibility.

So my question is, has anyone tried running Evergreen on MySQL and how
challenging an enterprise is this?

Second question: The university maintains an LDAP directory of user
accounts with which our other web applications integrate, enabling users
to login with their university ids and passwords. Can we similarly
integrate Evergreen with LDAP, enabling patrons to use their university
accounts?

Thanks, Jack