[OPEN-ILS-DEV] PATCH: utils.[ch] (const correctness)

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 21:01:06 EST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 12:02 AM, Scott McKellar <mck9 at swbell.net> wrote:

> --- Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <Long helpful explanation snipped>
>
> Let me summarize my understanding of how to get you a cumulative
> patch file and then you can tell me how close I am.
>
> 1. Do a "svn co ..." to check out the most current stuff from the
> repository.  I do that every few days, except that in your example
> you provided an extra parameter "OpenSRF" or "Evergreen", and what
> that does is rename the trunk directory to OpenSRF or Evergreen.

Right ... and you can check out multiple branches and tags using that
method and keep them updated too, if you're so inclined.

> The renaming is not important as long as I somehow keep the two
> directory trees separate.  In practice I've been leaving them named
> trunk, and I keep them separate by putting them in different
> directories.

If you 'svn up' on a regular basis you shouldn't need to check out everything.

> 2. Copy my modified versions of the files on top of the versions in
> the trunk tree, using an ordinary operating system operation like cp.
> I could also edit and compile them in place, but I'll worry about
> that later.
>
> 3. cd to my trunk directory and issue an update command:
>
>    svn up
>
> 4. Also from within my trunk directory, do a diff:
>
>    svn diff > latest.patch
>
> The resulting patch will reflect all the updates since...what?
> If I do multiple updates before doing a diff, does the patch reflect
> all of those changes, or just the most recent update?

It will reflect all local changes since the last 'svn up' in one patch.

> I presume that the patch would reflect all the updates since the
> last checkout.

Right, and that's why 'svn up' is important -- it brings the copy you
checked out up to date without breaking any local changes, or warning
of conflicts if that's not possible.

> Suppose I make some changes to frobisher.c, and then do an svn diff
> before I do an svn up.  Does the resulting patch reflect my changes
> to frobisher.c, or does it exclude them because they haven't been
> included in an update yet?

They would be relative to the version of the file you checked out,
which, if it's changed since then, would create an out of date patch.
Not the end of the world, but it's best to keep the working directory
up to date.

> Thanks for contributing to my education.

Glad to help.  You've done plenty for ours as well. :)