[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Acquisitions and Serial timeline

arhyno at uwindsor.ca arhyno at uwindsor.ca
Mon Oct 29 19:14:19 EDT 2007

Hi Pierre,

I think I have a spreadsheet I can send you, there's also some postings to
the list on resources, for example here:

http://list.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-dev/2007-June/001314.html

Bill Erickson has given some full time attention to acq/ser in September
and this month (Bill is probably worth a dozen developers and deftly
navigated the hooks to Evergreen), and we have had some small contracts,
but Windsor is not even remotely in a position to dedicate full time
developers to this project, at least not yet. I suspect an ILS vendor
would tell you, or at least their developers would tell you, that they
tend to throw more resources into acq/ser than any other part of the
system, and my contention has been that it makes more sense to use the
financials from an existing ERP application than to create these from
scratch. I have seen the incredible overhead that building things like
general ledgers can cause in at least 4 systems now in 2 decades. So the
ERP approach has been taken but ERP implementations are not necessarily
small undertakings either, and the metric I would use for comparison is
something akin to putting ERP in place, though maybe not with overhead of
something as elaborate as say, Peoplesoft.

On paper, I am now at 20% for my time allotment for Evergreen, this is
recent, was much delayed, and may not sound like much, but it is like a
gift falling from the sky in our environment. Windsor was an original Beta
partner for Notis Horizon way back in the early 1990s and the fallout from
when that project was unexpectedly terminated still haunts us on making
ILS commitments (it also wiped out about a year and a half of my working
life in one single event). It took no less than 18 months for closure on
the decision for the commercial system we have now, and we are working
towards Evergreen within a lot of constraints. Of course, I give every
other minute outside of my work time that I can, but I also own a 111 year
old newspaper business and have employees and publishing deadlines to
worry about, so there are no shortage of things competing for other time.
Still, I pushed for an institutional commitment to at least the acq/ser
side of Evergreen because I fundamentally believe that Evergreen is the
most important thing to happen to libraries in a decade, and what I have
is the best I can do at this point.

It would probably be the easiest for me to send you a zipped file of
what's described in the wiki, all I would need is some connection info for
your instance of Evergreen. I have to finish the description of the
current functions, which I hope to do tonight, and then move the pieces
from my laptop to the demo server, but Tuesday is the day we go to press
and it tends to be absolutely insane, so this may not happen until
Wednesday. I think we are in a position to open this up to more hands,
that's been very tricky to until just recently because there was so much
mapping to do around ERP. Believe me, the situation that needs to be in
place is for me to be out of the way so that the vastly more prolific
Evergreen crew can continue to make magic, and we are close to making that
happen.

art
---
Art Rhyno