SPAM: Re: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] How to add a book(s) and DVDs etc?

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Wed Jun 11 16:47:32 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:05 PM,  <evergreen at copelan.com> wrote:
> Has there been any thought (or maybe the functionality is already there) to automatically
> generating a sequential bar code number?   In my case (as maybe is with Charlene), I'm cataloging
> a small collection so will not be actually barcoding the items.  It isn't a big deal to keep a
> offline track of the last number used but it would save some key strokes in order to have an
> option to automatically insert the barcode number.   I'll add it to my list of "things I'd like to
> program" if it hasn't already been discussed.

There's been mention of it, but we'd really want to find out what the
use cases actually are (i.e. have this conversation).  Will these
generated barcodes ever be printed and/or used in an interface like
Check In or Check Out?  Are they merely placeholders so that a title
will show up in the catalog, or so that a hold can be requested on a
title?  Will they get replaced with real barcodes?  Is what you really
want an anonymous count of items associated with a title?  We'd want
to make sure that auto-generated barcodes were not being used as a
kludge or workaround for something that could be implemented in a
better way.

--
Jason Etheridge