[OPEN-ILS-DEV] How to add a book(s) and DVDs etc?

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Wed Jun 11 17:45:00 EDT 2008

Here's another use case, from a public library newly live on Evergreen....  :)

When we imported a batch of marc records into our former ILS, it would assign them temporary barcodes so that they would immediately show up in the catalog with a status of On Order for patrons to place holds.  There were import profiles set up so that if a marc record was imported more than once, it would make multiple copies, and depending on which profile was used during import, it would assign those copies to their appropriate branches.

When the books actually came in, our cataloger would update the records to include the actual barcodes that shipped with the books, any needed changes to the marc record or holdings would be made, and the books would be checked in, making them available.

In our case, the barcode itself is unimportant and could just as easily be entered when the book arrives.  It's making the record appear in the catalog for patrons to place holds right after import, and (ideally) keeping track of the number of copies and where they're going that would be useful to us.

Karen

Karen Collier
Public Services Librarian
Kent County Public Library