[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Booking Equipment or Rooms on Evergreen

David Fiander david at fiander.info
Sat Nov 15 15:03:20 EST 2008

Yes, Innovative Millennium has a booking function that allows staff to
reserve items in the future. One of the branches at my library uses it
to reserve videos for students who want to use them in class. When an
item is reserved, somebody who attempts to check the item out now will
get a shortened borrowing period, to make sure that the booked item is
back for the reserved time.

We tried to use it for booking rooms and other types of things, but
found that it didn't really work that well, for a bunch of different
reasons. The biggest one is that if you have a bunch of rooms which
are all pretty much interchangeable, and you just want to find a free
room for a given time slot, you end up navigating around a lot.
Google calendar or some other corporate calendaring system will
probably work better for that sort of thing. If you want to let
authorized users book rooms for themselves, then that might be tricky
with a stock sort of system.

- David