[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Booking Equipment or Rooms on Evergreen

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Mon Nov 17 17:19:16 EST 2008

"J. Miley" <mileyj1 at oplin.org> writes:

> You may want to check out Rapla (http://www.rapla.org) for resource
> booking. We are currently using this at my library and it is working
> out quite well. We have been using it for a few months for our
> meeting rooms and equipment booking. Unfortunately, if you want
> something to connect to your ILS  or be available to patrons online
> this isn't the product; however, it is good for staff to book
> resources.

<plug severity="shameless">
There is also resched, which I wrote in Perl for our use in Galion.
The interface of resched is entirely web-based, so there's nothing
to install on the workstations except maybe a bookmark.

http://cgi.galion.lib.oh.us/staff/resched-public/

I don't recall whether a particular license is specified there, but I
would be amenable to releasing it under a fairly permissive license
or, if this is deemed appropriate and desirable, allowing it to be
incorporated into and/or integrated with an open-source ILS.  I don't
know that I would necessarily have time to do much of the integration
work myself, though.  Someone on the oplin-tech list suggested back in
July that it could use a feature for booking multiple rooms together
at once, for situations wherein adjascent rooms are separated only by
a divider that can be opened, and I haven't scraped together the round
tuit for that yet.  The code could stand some cleanup first in any
case.  The good news is that porting it from MySQL to Postgres should
be very easy because of the abstraction layer I used.

Note that although I'm subscribed to the open-ils-dev list, I only
read it sporadically, but if you put the word "resched" in the subject
line (whether the message is on the list or off) the message will go
into a different folder where I _will_ see it.

--
Nathan Eady
Galion Public Library